In order to maintain the new-glass feeling for as long as possible, it is imperative to take care of your freshly installed windshield. Your driving experience is sure to improve as soon as you have a pristine, new windshield installed or repaired.
Tape shouldn’t be removed from your replaced windshield straight away, despite popular belief.
Following are some tips to use right after repairing or replacing your windshield:
- Drive for several hours with the retention tape still on
- Ventilate by opening a window
- Do not car wash for several days – by hand or in a commercial car wash
- Before driving your car, wait an hour and remove the tape a day or two later.
- The safe drive away time (SDAT) for the urethane adhesive we use is 60 minutes.
- After 24 to 48 hours have passed, you can start removing the adhesive tape gently.
- Keep your car’s window cracked open in the summer months, so it doesn’t overheat and the glass is not overstrained.
- To prevent the adhesive from being over stressed during curing, close the car doors gently and avoid rough roads if possible.
We’ll remind you of all these precautions and more when we replace or repair your windshield at True Blue Auto Glass. Please feel free to contact us if you have already received a replacement and would like advice!